One of the things that must be arranged when moving away from home is to change your address. I have tried to sum up all the places you have to go, all the institutions that you need to contact and all people that are important to be notified for your change of address.
Change of Address When Moving – Checklist
First of all, try to make a list in order to more easily change address. When getting ready to move check out the suggestions I have made for you below before you start actually phoning or e-mailing people. After that it will be easier for you to organize your changing of address.
- Start with the most obvious people and institutions that are often around you: accountant, broker, credit institutions and banks. Go to your bank if you have taken loans for purchases, credit cards, if you have made any mortgages or just have an open account and inform the bankers. Check if your bank has a branch in the city or state you are going to and if they don’t, think about which bank to use before you actually do your change of address when moving. Search for information on its interests and taxes before moving.
- It is important to notify insurance providers – for example, if you have any insurance on your cars, home, life, health and etc.
- You need to inform about your change of address any associations you are part of or if you have memberships – if you participate in a social club or parents’ association, for example.
- Don’t forget to change address when moving with the Social Security Administration. You can do this online by following the direction on this link.
- Utility providers should definitely know about your change of address – phone and mobile providers, water and electricity companies, internet providers, etc.
- Contact your doctor, dentist and chiropractor for your changed address. Also, you can ask them for reference for the city or state you are moving to.
- Think about your kids as well when it comes to your change of address notifications. Go to your kids’ school or daycare, but also to their doctor and dentist in order to make complete your change address when moving. If you have a babysitter – let that person know, too. You should also have in mind when moving out that you will need to look for a new babysitter at your new home after your change of address has been made.
- If you have any pets, contact your vet. Also if someone else is walking your dog, let them know about your moving house change of address. Ask your vet if you could possibly be recommended another one in the area where you are moving to.
- You will need to change your passport and driving license as well since they have your old address on.
- If you are using cleaning services for your home – let them know about your moving house change of address.
- Go to your post office as well – alternatively you can fill in an online form and send it to them through the internet. You can find the USPS form to complete here.
- If you have subscriptions for newspapers and magazines – send them a notification letter for the change of your address when relocating.
- Think about making new business cards – you won’t be able to use your old ones any longer.
- Who cleans and maintains your swimming pool? Contact that person and of course let them know, too, about your upcoming address change.
- Of course, let your friends and family know, too, about your change of address when moving. Another tip is that they may also recommend you who to call and inform.
Change of Address Notifications When Moving House
Of course, last but not least, you should notify movers as much time in advance as possible about your new address. They are going to need it in order to know where to take your luggage. Make sure that close to your home the moving company will have a parking space where it can leave its truck and unload it. The best option would be to tell the movers your new changed address when filling in a quote as distance is one of the factors that define your final estimate.
Change Address When Moving Home
A tip from me: when your change of address list when moving house is ready distribute it between your family members and let each of them make some phone calls or send some notification e-mails. There are institutions and people you don’t have to personally call like your babysitter, for example. If you organize your moving home change of address list like this you will relief a lot of stress off of you. And of course, when moving don’t forget to have some fun no matter how many difficulties you might have encountered! Everything feels better and is easier to do if you keep up the good mood!
Would you like to know more details on how to change your address when moving? Just share with us your comment below and receive expert advice free. Thank you.
Posted on Mar 27, 2012; Last updated: Mar 28, 2013