Choosing the right cross country movers is crucial for your successful long distance move. Moving long distance is always complicated and that is why you need to make sure your cross country movers are well experienced to handle your cross country moving needs. Many moving companies will tell you that they can handle long distance moves and they are very good cross country movers but unfortunately that is not the case. When choosing such movers, experience is everything, because moving 3 thousand miles is a lot more complicated than moving 30 miles. It is a huge logistical challenge to have all aspects of your upcoming move covered and this is why we have prepared this guide to help you stay organized.
How To Select A Trustworthy Cross Country Company
When choosing a reliable cross country moving company, reputation is everything. Having a truly reliable state to state moving company can save you a lot of trouble.
- Research your movers by reading moving reviews, ratings and testimonials online. Make sure that those movers have good and positive moving reviews.
- Other very important things when selecting reputable cross country movers are licenses and accreditation. Make sure your movers are fully licensed and insured with the Department of Transportation as every professional moving company is required to be licensed.
- Check the BBB record of the company you are planning to hire to make sure they have positive ratings with them. Don’t ever deal with unlicensed moving companies.
- Ask them to calculate moving costs for your move. Get your moving estimates and read them carefully – if you find anything unusual and suspicious, ask the mover to explain in details all you need from the moving estimate. You need to make sure that your moving estimate doesn’t contain any information that can be used against you. Getting the best of your cross-country movers depends on what moving company you are going to choose.
Choose The Best From The Selected Movers
- Choose several movers and ask them for a detailed estimate or even an in-home visual quote.
- Don’t choose the lowest estimate. If you get an estimate that is considerably lower than the rest, then something is probably not right. Sometimes some moving companies provide very low quotes so they can book the job and then increase the overall price during the move.
- Based on the moving reviews, recommendations from friends and personal talks on the phone, you will be able to choose good and affordable cross country movers.
- Ask the moving company to provide you with moving supplies and tips for your long distance move. Each of the best rated cross country moving companies will be able to give you tons of moving tips and advice for your move.
- If you want extra care for your household items, ask your movers about your moving insurance options. Also, sometimes packing expensive electronics and antiques is better to be done by the moving company. You may think that you will pack everything carefully, but trust me on this, if your moving company is experienced, they will know what moving techniques and materials to use to ensure that your belongings are safely transported to your new place.
- Comparing cross-country moving companies is easier with MyMovingReviews. Just fill out the free moving quote form on top of the page for multiple moving cost quotes.
Cross country moving cost
How to determine the cost and how to obtain a trustworthy cross country moving cost estimate from a professional moving company? Here is a quick list of things you need before making your final decision:
- Select some reliable moving companies online. Select a mover in your state here. Search for 8-10 movers with ratings of 3 or above. Read some moving reviews and contact the movers.
- Obtain free moving cost estimates from all of those cross country moving companies. You should receive your moving quotes in a day or two. See if all the moving expenses like packing materials (tape, shrink wrap, packing paper), moving boxes, packing services are included in the final quoted cost. If not, obtain a full price list of all additional services for every of the moving companies so you can get the actual estimated price.
- See the availability of every one of the moving companies as some of them might be unavailable for pickup or delivery on the desired date. Make sure they guarantee for the dates.
- Compare your cross-country moving cost estimates. Select the movers that fit your budget best, have good moving reviews online and are available on your preferred dates.
- Book your move with the movers and pay the deposit to reserve your moving dates. Make sure your deposit is as low as possible (no more than 10% of the final amount). Usually the deposits are non refundable and in case something happens, you will not lose much money.
What do you think? We want to hear your experience and thoughts. Share in the comments below.
Posted on Apr 5, 2011; Last updated: Oct 10, 2014