If you have decided to rent a truck for your self moving then you need to be aware how to drive a moving truck across country. Driving a large vehicle like a mover’s truck or a tow is very much different from driving your car. Trucks are of bigger size and weight which increases when it is loaded with luggage. That is why when you drive a moving truck there is always a risk. An important condition for your secure self relocation is to be able to manage such a vehicle on the road. Here you will read our top 10 how to drive a moving truck rental tips that are to be known.
Can I drive a Moving Truck?
A part of the condition for a safe DIY move is knowing how to load the moving truck. A next step that you should undertake is to inform yourself of the tips for driving the truck. If you are thinking “Can I drive a moving truck?” the information below will guide you on how to get ready.
Requirements to Drive a Moving Truck
Here are the most important requirements to drive a moving truck:
- Always put your belt on. This refers to others in the vehicle, too, especially children – make sure that they are properly seated. If there is an air bag in front of the passenger seat don’t put an infant seat there. It will be dangerous for the kid if the air bag opens during an emergency.
- When driving a moving truck across country follow all road signs and be especially careful with keeping the required speed.
- While operating the truck be aware of bridges, balconies, electrical wires, tree branches, roof eaves, porch awnings and all other objects that may not be higher from the ground than the truck roof. There may be many places that will not have signs for danger. If you are not sure stop the vehicle, get out of the truck and check yourself if you will be able to pass safely. Don’t make guesses. If you reach to a place where you cannot drive through with the truck – don’t.
- Don’t talk on the phone while driving. You can use a handsfree or just pull over at a convenient place to have a cell phone conversation. After you are ready to continue drive the moving truck back on the road but be careful when entering traffic.
- Slow down when you reach turns, if you go into bad weather conditions, on a dangerous roads, if the road is under construction and on highway exits.
- If you are taking medication check what side effects they have. Some can cause blur vision or can make you sleepy. Don’t sit behind the wheel if have had any alcohol or if your medicaments have negative side effects that may impede your abilities for normal driving. If you are not sure – consult your doctor.
- If you are tired, exhausted, sleepy or just cannot keep your attention focused on the road you better take a break and stop for a while. Get some rest and then move on. If you can, avoid driving a moving truck across country through the night.
- Never allow to take passengers in the back of the truck. It is dangerous because if the luggage moves, they may get injured; there may be lack of air to breathe or in case of a crash they will not be safe there either.
- Protect yourself from the exhaust fumes – they are very dangerous so never fall asleep while the engine is running or while you are in a place where they can enter through the doors or windows inside the cabin.
- Be ready with a map of where you are going and if you can, foresee the possible driving conditions. If you know that there will be a blizzard for example postpone your take off until the weather improves at least a little bit. If you know that a part of the road will be under construction choose another route. Any correct prognosis that you can make will allow your safety on the road and reaching faster your point of destination.
Consider all of these when planning how to drive a moving truck rental. This is how to drive a moving truck with a trailer or without. If you want to rent a tow or want to drive your own with the truck check that the tow is fully functioning like all the lights are working, for example. Preparing on how to drive a moving truck with a trailer requires referring to the trailer’s manufacturing manual.
Driving a Moving Truck Tips
If you follow these driving a moving truck tips you will surely experience a much more safe relocation. Just remember to acquaint yourself well. If you have never been behind the wheel of a moving truck it is worth considering hiring a moving company that has experienced drivers to do the job. Be realistic when evaluating the difficulty to drive a moving truck. This is the last of the driving a moving truck tips we would like to give to you. If you have something more to add please share your comment below. All driving a moving truck tips you find important to mention are welcome!