Moving is a chaotic event, no matter how organized you are this may turn your world upside down. Yet organization is the key when moving. So, if you are moving soon, get ready and get organized to move, because this will reduce your average moving costs and significantly reduce stress. There are few major and some minor moving tips that will help you get organized for moving more efficiently.
There is no doubt that relocating to a new home can present a big challenge, especially if you are moving a big 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom house or apartment. Just imagine how all bits and pieces of your life will be taken apart, put away in boxes, wrapped in plastic and loaded onto a moving van to the new place. This will definitely shake your world whether it is for a day or for a week. It is easy to lose your mind, yet there is a way to organize the chaos.
Getting organized for Moving
Here are a few simple steps that will eliminate the major stress associated with moving and will help you save money, time and your piece of mind.
Get a Planner or a Moving Checklist
You can get a whole box if you want, it will be your moving hub! Just have a notepad where to put down all you need to do to plan your move. You will have to collect receipts, keys, business cards, quotes send from moving companies, insurance information and so on. This will help you plan and organize your move. That’s how it is with everything today, simply because there is so much we need to take care of – you need a moving checklist. You may just get a big notepad and start putting down all you need to do.
If you are moving by yourself then you will have to do everything – form renting a truck to packing and moving every piece of furniture in your house. Do not underestimate the packing job. It could be a big chunk of your overall moving costs at the end of your move. Even if you are hiring a moving company, you will need to know how to get organized to move. Planning everything from the moving deposit booking fee to the moving day and the unload is essential. Therefore, a moving checklist will help you track and plan the process.
Get Organized for Moving by Planning
If you are moving with a moving company they can help you with moving tips and advice. Here is more information on what questions to ask movers. However, if you are moving in the summer, you may not get that lucky to have the movers advise you. That’s why we are here! Planning every detail when you are getting organized for moving is in fact possible. Here is what you need to consider:
- Get moving supplies like boxes, plastic wrap, tape and more. Where can you get them and what quantity you need? You can buy them from the moving company, or some even offer boxes for free. You can get some from the local liquor or convenience store, or to rent them.
- Take a full inventory of your house. Check all the rooms and decide what you are taking and leaving behind. Often to get organized to move in will mean to get rid of a lot of your stuff. Once you start preparing to move and start burrowing around the house you will find a lot of excess. It will save you time and money to donate or sell some of the stuff you haven’t used in long time. Here are some moving sale tips.
- Once you know what you are packing, make labels! Get yourself a few hundred labels to label your inventory. Yes, hundreds because the better you label your household goods the easier it will be to rearrange at the new place. Categorize by room or whatever you find useful for yourself, but by room is the most common – kitchen, bedroom, kids room, master bathroom, bath 2, living room and so on. Yet you can have other categorize like fragile items (with information on how to handle them), glassware, electronics, pictures, whatever will make it easier on you. That way the movers will position the moving boxes and heavy furniture in the correct room at the destination and thus cut your transition time. This will get you organized to move believe me.
- Pack a bag and box with essentials. This means get your toiletries and some clothes for the first day in the new home in a bag. Your moving may involve hundreds of boxes, which means that they may happen to be stacked on top of each other for days. Therefore, prepare a box (or boxes for each room) with essentials for the first day in the new house. For each one of us that box will most likely contain different items, so think about the stuff that you first do in the morning, and make have them handy in a priority box.
- Take all the valuables with you. Don’t leave your jewelry and important document to the movers. You want to make sure you have those things with you at all times.
- Contact professional moving companies. Get moving quotes and cost estimates from professional licensed moving companies. Now you can fast and easy estimate your moving budget directly from here and plan your moving costs in advance.
- Make a list of several moving companies that fit your budget and requirements and research them online. This will help you avoid moving scams and have a smoother relocation experience.
- Make sure you write a moving review on the moving companies involved with your relocation. Help other locate the perfect mover faster.
Those few moving tips will help you get organized to move. Follow the steps and you will be fine. Get your moving checklist and put down all you need to do. Plan your move in advance and get all the necessary materials to make the relocation happen smoothly.
Getting organized for moving your home is not easy, but it is achievable. Just follow a plan and you will be able to organize the chaos. Let us know your organization techniques in the comments below.
Posted on Mar 7, 2012; Last updated: Oct 30, 2012