Intrastate moving is a more complicated type of move. In the local relocation you may be changing your neighborhood or a city but going to another state means a lot of different things to take care of. All the specifics of an intrastate relocation are difficult to make if you try to organize it yourself. This is why here comes the help of intrastate moving companies. Intrastate movers are experienced in this type of relocation so the question here is not do you need them but it is how to find the right one amongst them. Here below you will find the main requirements on choosing the right one out of many intrastate moving companies.
Intrastate Moving Companies Tips
While planning how to change your address when moving and generally how to make moving easier for yourself it is time to get organized in finding your intrastate mover. Your first task in searching for a cross country moving company is to ask ask for free moving quotes. Quotes are important because they will tell you about what intrastate moving rates you can expect to be charged. Afterwards your move should continue with reading reviews. Intrastate movers reviews are important because in them you can find out how a mover works. You can find a list with moving companies here. These are movers that operate in every state in the USA and you can read the reviews about them. This is a great way to learn about how an intrastate mover operates. Don’t forget also to look up at the SAFER administration website on this link.
How to Recognize the Right Intrastate Mover
Every intrastate mover has specifics in the way of working and charging. The purpose of this article is to show you the best decision for you in terms of costs, organization and options you may have.
- First of all acquaint yourself with the types of moving estimates. Out of all the best one for your interests would be the binding not-to-exceed quote. You agree to pay a certain amount of money for your belongings. In the end if they weight more than what you are paying for you don’t pay anything extra and if they weight less, you are charged less. Read more about this and the other types of moving quotes here.
- Most out of state movers will give you intrastate moving rates by the hour or by weight.
- In almost all cases though people pay more than the quote. One common reason for this is that people don’t arrange a visual estimate or forget to mention things for moving when communicating with the mover by phone or e-mail. Another typical reason is that a lot of movers don’t include in the quote extra taxes and fees to be paid. So before signing with an intrastate moving company ask what the quotes includes and inquire about the extra fees like:
- truck insurance
- charges for fuel
- TV and piano moving fees
- packing supplies and packing
- Are you charged for the time when movers get a break?
- Is there a minimum of hours to pay for the labor?
- When does the time start running – when the movers leave the office or when they arrive at your home?
- How are the hours rounded up?
- What else is to be paid extra that is not included in the quote?
- What is the procedure in case of damage or lost items?
More about the hidden moving costs and fees that movers apply you can find out if you click here. Being prepared with these will avoid potential misunderstandings with the mover.
What to Know in Advance
- Usually intrastate movers require a deposit. It is about 10% of the final price and it is paid before the move. If the company asks you for a lot more or demands on being paid only by cash do not hire them as these are the signs of scam.
- The rest of the amount is due before the truck is unloaded. Whatever money the intrastate moving company asks you to pay – use your credit card for them. A reputable intrastate mover will explain you in detail its policy on that.
- Remember that any payment you make must be accompanied by a document proving you gave some money. A lot of people send the company money before they have signed anything and this is not advisable. A trustworthy mover will conduct your move with no problem and you can rely that your moving will be successful but before finding such a mover be careful.
- Ask what is the company’s cancellation policy if you decide to use another company, if the mover cancels the agreement or any unexpected situation occurs.
- If you need crates and crating ask what are the costs for that. Look around at your home and if you see any large furniture that may need to be transported dismantled ask what are the rates.
The Right Intrastate Moving Company
As you can see you have a lot of information to collect and take care of before the move itself. One more tool that can be helpful for you to make your move simpler and is also free is the MyMove app for iPhone. You can use it to make checklists, browse movers reviews, read intrastate movers reviews, get estimates and a lot more. If you think that there is more to add to finding the right intrastate moving company you can share your comment below.
More useful information:
Simple Relocation: What Things to Do when Moving House
Posted on Sep 20, 2012