When you are moving away from from home, it is clear that there are a few basic steps to take: consider moving out of home, packing your home, loading your belongings on a proper moving truck, take them or have them taken to your new home, and then unloading and unpacking. Out of every step from the ones mentioned above, we’ve selected how to properly load a moving truck to be the subject of this article. While it is easy not to think about this if you have rented a moving company, the situation is different when you have decided to make your moving by yourself. Irrelevant of if you are moving out of state or it is a short distance move, you are living in a small apartment or a large house – how to properly load a moving truck is an important issue that needs to be tackled. When it comes to preserving your belongings on the road how you decide to pack your moving truck matters a lot.
How to Properly Load a Moving Truck – Self Service or Movers?
What does that mean? It means that there are three types of move – do it yourself, self service move and going for the full move.
- If you want to make a full move by yourself, it means planning the time and money to pack everything, figure out how to properly load a moving truck, drive it all the way to your new home, unload and unpack everything. But are you going to be able to take enough time and would you be able to cope?
- A self service moving is a bit different. It means that you are still going to use the services of a mover for your moving but the company does not do packing and loading or does just a part of it.
- A third option for how to properly load a moving truck is to hire a mover to do it entirely. If you consider using expert help this will save a lot of time and trouble doing so much work only by yourself.
In all of the three cases you have the relocation costs to think about. But if you are considering a way to pack a moving truck it means that you are going to hire a self service mover or do the moving by yourself. In these cases you will need this guide to give you a few good tips.
How to Properly Load a Moving Truck Preparation
When searching for loading moving truck help the most important step that comes first is preparation. The way that your moving is loaded depends largely on what you are going to put in it and how it is packed.
Packing your things to go on a moving truck has some good tips that can ease your work there.
How to Properly Load a Moving Truck
Now that it is clear how you are going to approach your move, proceed to the loading of the truck. Take a look at the next few steps that should guide you well into how to pack up your truck in 9 simple steps. If you think that there is more to add to them – just let us know in the comments below.
- Have an inventory list ready and your boxes marked with their content. This will help you decide how to arrange it all in the truck.
- Use quality boxes. When planning how to properly load your truck go for strong package materials. Sometimes saving on money for a second hand boxes is not the best option as then your belongings may not be safe. So consider well what packaging you would use.
- Take the heaviest boxes first (they should also be the strongest ones as you have put the things with most weight in them) and large furniture and place them at the bottom of the truck. This is a rule that goes even if you are moving small loads.
- When wondering how to properly load a moving truck put larger furniture like sofas and couches on end vertically in order to save space in the truck.
- Use ropes and straps to protect your belongings when moving. Additionally, to secure your things, use cardboard to fill in the empty spaces inside the truck and blankets where necessary. This would guarantee that your belongings will be safe when transporting and will not be hitting against each other or against the sides of the truck.
- When planning how to load a moving truck put the TV up. If you place it on a side it might get damaged.
- On top of heavy things go lighter boxes.
- The last “layer” of items in your moving truck should be smallest bags and things that are easier to break like the bottles from the bathroom.
- Put things until the truck is full, i.e. – stack items until reaching the ceiling of the truck. When planning how to load your truck fill it up – every space you leave empty may give a chance to your things to move during shipment.
On the other hand, you may prefer not to risk loading a moving truck on your own, especially if it is your first time considering how to properly do it all by yourself. It is safe to move with a moving company. Packing and loading are some of the moving services offered by movers and they are costs that are worth considering to be made when it comes to finding the experts to do it. Proceed with your moving and unloading preparation with what to do on moving day and how to move in.