As the relocation comes topical and you (and your partner) have decided to move out, whether locally or long distance, there is a chance of forgetting something. Much as you may be organized, especially if you have a larger home to move, there are some things forgotten when packing. Of course, just like in every other situation, prevention is what can get you out. Instead of wondering what to do, simply take a look at our top 10 of the most forgotten items when moving.
Most frequently forgotten items when moving
- Collect records. We’ve said it before and we’ll remind you of this again. Some of the common things forgotten when moving are the records of dentists, doctors, daycare/ kinder garden, vet, etc. Use the opportunity to get advice for specialists in the area where you will be moving to. These things forgotten when moving can make you go back later and spend extra time and money on a trip, like moving is cheap anyway.
- Visit the cleaners to pick up any clothes you’ve left there. Bring back library books and return movie rentals. Things forgotten when moving will only cost you more fuss to get them straight afterwards.
- Gathering contacts. Next on our top 10 of the most forgotten items when moving is collecting phones and e-mails of people. Collect the phonebook you have and if you see numbers, e-mails or addresses missing from someone close to you inform the person that you are moving and request them.
- Arrange for the pets and plants, if you have any. Movers are not supposed to take them and since many people don’t know this, it became one of the most forgotten items when moving.
- Arrange your stay. When relocating to a new house or apartment, one of the commonly forgotten things when moving is to prepare for your new life. Open a local bank account, subscribe to the local newspaper, check out important locations like the closest supermarket to begin with, school or kinder garden if you have kids, learn the local transportation system if you will be moving to a big city like the NY for example without a car, etc. In other words, get ready for what’s coming anyway.
- Get the bills. You may not believe it but one of the most forgotten items when moving are the bills. If you are keeping track of what you’ve paid and what – not, you will figure this out easily. And of course, remember to cancel utilities like water, gas, electricity, internet, etc. Whoever will be using them next should be paying for them when they move in.
- All the documentation should go on one place. Collect receipts for paid bills, contracts, birth certificates, etc. These are one of the most frequently forgotten items. You need all this paperwork in one file for easy access. Keep it safe, don’t give it to the movers, always bring it with you during the move and you’ll be fine.
- Prepare an open-first box. Pack essentials in it – toothpaste, towels, a set of clothes for each member of the family, some snacks and drinks, etc. Having an open first box is like taking the most important things that you will need in the first couple of days at your new home.
- Prepare for the final cleaning. Yes, we know it is no fun and yet it is a must, and it is one of the most common things forgotten when moving. Following our cleaning checklist when relocating should do just fine. Of course, if you’re not interested in cleaning all day (or all night) hire a cleaning company – out of the many companies out there you will surely find one to make a good deal with.
- Hand the keys. Do you have any spare keys for the door or a garage opener? Out of the commonly forgotten things when moving, these will potentially trouble the people who will be living in your house so collect all keys you have. Remember that famous series with a bunch of friends who had all lived in one apartment at a different period of time but all of them had saved their key and the current owner felt somewhat awkward when he learned? Well, now you know how it feels.
Most forgotten items when moving – an extra tip
Yes, it is easy to miss something important when you have a lot on your mind. And yet, follow through our top 10 most frequently forgotten items when you’ve packed or include it in your to do list and be careful when packing. Something that will make your work even easier is the iPhone app MyMove which is free. You can use it to read reviews, get quotes, make checklists and so much more – just give it a try: your relocation will become more flexible, you will easily organize the things to do and every detail of the move will be in front of you at any point in time. Such apps can make your whole life so much simpler so get advantage!