Moving is not an easy task, whether you are hiring movers or moving by yourself. The most difficult part of shifting your home or office is moving large furniture. How to move large furniture may be the first question you ask yourself if doing the moving by yourself. It is not easy, that is for sure. The heaviest pieces are hard to move because they require backbreaking lifting. Large and heavy furniture you cannot slide or pull around the house to get it out the entrance door. Thus, if you are about to relocate you should use proper techniques and planning in order to make it easy and harmless on yourself and the house. The best option would be to hire a moving company that will take care of the moving large pieces of furniture. If you are on a budget though, you can consider hiring just helpers who will help you move and load the large furniture onto the trucks.
How to Move Large Furniture by Yourself?
If you do not wish to employ professional moving help, then do you know how to move large furniture pieces by yourself safely? If you have never done moving large pieces of furniture here are a few techniques you can employ:
- Prepare the furniture that you have to disassemble and start work on it as soon as relocation process starts. Remove any loose parts of the furniture to make it easy and safe when shifting, and if you have to, move it piece by piece.
- If you are moving dressers or some larger pieces of furniture, take all the contents out from the furniture and place them into moving boxes.
- Clear your way from the room to the entrance door. Make sure you have enough room to move and shift the big pieces of furniture, as this will ensure space for lifting and turning the furniture. Consider chandeliers and other light fixtures, as well as your floors. You do not want to break or damage anything.
- If you have never moved that furniture, measure the dimensions and consider the path you have cleared. Measure the width of the doors, the hallways you will be passing through and the height of the ceilings. Then, if you are still wondering how to move a large piece of furniture because it is too big to fit through your hallways, call a friend who has done moving or consider how to take it apart and move piece by piece.
- Make sure you protect your floors if they are hardwood or any other easily damageable surface. Use furniture moving pads or some kind of blankets to cover the floors. To move the large furniture, use furniture sliders and steel lifters, which will help you get the job done. If you don’t know how to move and lift big furniture, or it is too heavy use the lifter and then put the slider under each corner. If it is a couch for example, put the sliders under each leg carefully by tilting slightly enough to push the slider under the corner. If you are renting, keep in mind the security deposit when moving out.
- When you start moving the furniture, use your legs not your back. Squat and lift with your back straight, do not bend your back, hold it low and keep the furniture close to your body. Lift each piece of furniture from the strongest point.
- Moving straps can also make the moving of large furniture easier. Professional movers use straps for the very heavy pieces of furniture. The moving pads and sliders will protect your furniture and floors, and will make it easier on you. Yet the moving straps will not just facilitate the moving of the furniture, but help you save your back from injuries. Avoid twisting and take your time when start moving.
- You might consider using a belt when lifting heavy furniture. This will protect your back and help you lift more.
How to Move Large Furniture? – Consider Professional Moving Help
Remember that large and heavy furniture is difficult to move and it requires planning and measuring. Moving large pieces of furniture is not impossible though and there are great tools that will facilitate the moving if you are doing it by yourself. Consider all details tough and safety first. If you see you cannot do it on your own, you can move safely with a moving company. You can get a free moving quote directly from here and calculate your moving expenses fast and easy. You may also only request helpers to do the heavy lifting for you and load the large furniture on the truck. If you feel insecure and do not know how to move large furniture, hire movers especially if you are moving cross-country. Professional movers know how to disassemble and move any large furniture and safely transport it to your destination. Thus, do not hesitate to first get a quote and then do the moving by yourself.
Let us know if you have any other suggestions or questions in the comments section. Also, feel free to share your experience and advice on how to move large furniture.