Moving companies are something that can take so much burden off of your shoulders from the moving process. And yet, you may have had a not so positive experience with them. Taking a look at moving companies from the perspective of their pros and cons is beneficial because it will help you decide will or will you not use movers and what can you expect to happen in the those two cases. You’ve probably asked yourself this question and here are some findings about it.
Pros and Cons of Hiring Movers
Here below you will find 4 basic points for comparison between hiring a moving company and doing the work yourself. The information here should put some more light on the pros and cons of a moving company. Here they are:
- Organization. Moving is a lot of organization. You need to change your address, notify everyone, find a suitable place at the new area where you are relocating, deal with lease contracts, cleaning homes and so much more. It’s a lot. But there are some things that are directly related to your moving and for them you have a choice how they can be distributed. Preparing the packing supplies, going to purchase them, hiring people to do the dismantling and packing of furniture, hiring labor to load the truck, driving the truck yourself, securing a parking place by getting a permit, finding storage place and arranging some of your things to be moved there or arranging to move your belongings from one storage to another, etc. Instead of doing it yourself, you can call a mover. Sounds so much simpler and easier, doesn’t it? Well, it actually does save time (and sometimes money, too) if you hire a moving company. You just get in touch with them, ask for a quote, and when they get back to you tell them what you need. Moving experts can arrange things for you.
- Packing and packing supplies. After you are done with preparing what is going to be moved it is time to get things packed. Make a list of all the packing supplies and start shopping. If you consider the search for packing materials and the time to go fetch them that can be replaced with one phone call only. Think about this: the packing of 1 bedroom apartment is going to cost you on an average about $300. Not that much, is it, compared to the expenses that you will have in terms of money and time. Also, moving experts have experience with packing, includingly fragile or expensive items like antiques.
- Moving to your new home. Loading the truck can be a bit tricky if you haven’t done this before and you are not sure on how to do it. If you are doing it yourself you can ask some friends to stop by and help you. On the other hand movers can do it. Usually moving companies send two or three people who get a regular training and for them loading a truck is a simple task they are accustomed to doing. One of these people who movers send is the foreman – the driver. If you decide to move yourself can you drive a truck? Running such a machine is much different from getting into your car. You may also need to get a packing permit. On the one hand, if you do it yourself, it is going to be time engaging. On the other, movers can fill in the form, submit it instead of you so you won’t have to queue on long lines and wait. They will place a sign “No parking” on the spot right where you need so on moving day the truck can park and the unloading can start without a problem.
- Money issues. Which one do you think is cheaper – self moving or hiring movers? If you go back to point one of this list – organization, try to calculate how much will it cost you to do it yourself in terms of money and time. Then contact a few reputable moving companies in your area and discuss with them what the cost will be if they do for you these things, i.e. if you request a full move from them. You may be surprised if it turns out that the estimations you come up with for moving yourself are higher especially if you go for economy moving companies.
- Moving scam. Yes, unfortunately some movers are not reliable. But now there are many ways in which you can make sure that a moving company is trustworthy. You can find the searching process explained in detail here.
Do you agree or disagree with this article? There are a lot more pros and cons of hiring a moving company for sure. What do you think – do you want to add some more to this list?