Every time you are about to move, there comes the need to organize relocating large and/ or awkwardly shaped items. One of them is the safe. The smaller ones are easier to handle but how to move a very large safe is a question that needs to be discussed. It is most natural that safes are difficult to relocate – after all, they were made to be tough to take out of a house. If you knew how to move a home safe easily then a possible thief would have no problem either. That is why it is great that safes are so difficult to lift and move. You have it, it provides the security of your precious items and that is great. And yet, however useful safes are, when you are relocating you need to know how to move a very heavy safe.
How to move a very heavy safe in 10 easy steps
During a move, if you have to relocate a large and/ or heavy safe, it would be best to get movers that are professional in this activity to do it.* But if you want to do it yourself, we need to warn you that such items are dangerous to handle by unprofessionals. If you don’t know how to move a very large safe you take the risk of injuries and possibly – damages to your home. And if you still want to do it, here are a few things you can do:
- Get help. You don’t expect to manage moving such a monster yourself only, do you? It is very dangerous to try this alone. It doesn’t matter how much you work out and how strong you are. A safe is heavier than what several people can lift with their hands at the same time. That is why get at least several strong men to assist you. A safe that weights a few hundred pounds needs more people. Especially if you have stairs to go up and down.
- Prepare the safe itself. There should be nothing inside the safe when you are moving it. This is how to move a heavy safe and it is important. When you are carrying the safe any maneuvering will be more difficult and risky with things inside the safe. And for sure you don’t want your valuable possessions to wander around inside the safe and be exposed to a possible damage. In the meantime look for another secure place to keep valuables. The safe will be lighter if you take everything out. If you keep just paperwork and a little bit of jewels there won’t be much difference. But if you want to know how to move a very heavy gun safe this for sure is something to do before the move itself.
- Do not try to manhandle the safe. Even the strongest men are not strong enough to lift a safe! Always plan when thinking how to move a heavy safe, to have not just help, but also the right equipment.
- Move the safe after you take off its door if you want to know how to move a 1000 pound safe. Both the door and the safe itself are very heavy. This is how to move a 900 pound safe too. They are both heavy.
- You need equipment. Get the right sized heavy-duty appliance dolly and attach with straps the safe to it. This is a dolly that is appropriate for larger domestic appliances like washers, dryers, fridges, etc. If you want to know how to move a 400 lb safe it is the same way any safe, especially a bigger one, should be handled – with a dolly.
- How will you get the safe out of your home in the truck and then back in to your new home? Take measurements! Often safes are simply difficult to move through spaces like a corridor or doorways and then you need to get them out through the window.
- How to move a home safe out? Tilt the safe on one of its sides and in then slide under it the dolly. The entire safe should be on the dolly before you move it. Secure the strap tightly during the whole time when the safe is being moved. After that put the dolly on the ground slowly and carefully. Make sure that the safe is well secured on the dolly, otherwise it may shift and hurt someone nearby.
- How to move a safe up and down the stairs? That will require more people to do the job. Whether you will be going upstairs or downstairs, there should be at least a couple of people to push it up and as many upstairs to pull it. This is how to move a safe up and down the stairs because they are heavy and you need more people in order to be sure you will make it without any injuries and damages.
- Arrange the truck. If you have removed the door of your safe, plan how to balance it in the truck. It is not easy to lift a whole safe and its door, especially if it is not removable. Think about how to arrange the door inside the truck so that it won’t rest against more fragile items that can be damaged.
- At your new home. When you carry inside the safe, remove the strap that is supporting it. After that carefully slide the safe off from the dolly.
*MyMovingReviews does not carry responsibility for anyone’s attempts to lift and/ or move a safe. If you are not a professional mover and/ or do not have experience/ knowledge in moving a safe, it is advisable to not take the risk. Moving a heavy safe by inexperienced persons is dangerous and may lead to injuries. Attempts to follow any tips in this article are solely to your responsibility.
Topics: Self Moving Tips