Moving is usually associated with a lot of extra costs and that is not without a reason. Relocating can cost you a lot especially if you are moving out of state with expenses going as high as thousands of dollars. But it doesn’t have to be this way. There are tips and tricks with which you can relocate successfully and for lower costs. Moving does not have to be expensive. There are lots of ways to cut down on the price of your move. This is why we’ve decided to prepare for you this article where you can find some useful and practical cheap options for moving.
Moving on the Cheap – Tips on Moving Cheap
You can certainly lower your moving costs and still keep the quality of your relocation. There are plenty of cheap options for moving for you. These few tips can save you money:
- Instead of spending money when moving why not making some? Plan decluttering – things long forgotten you don’t need or use you can put on ebay and sell. You can also organize a moving sale. You can find some great tips about that here. This is how you can make some money when relocating.
- When you are getting ready for the packing think about how to supply yourself with cheap or free packing materials. In the first place check the free options: craigslist and the social networks. You can publish online that you are looking for packing materials. People who have recently moved in your friends’ list there may be able to give what they don’t already need. Share this article in your social networks’ profiles and see what useful practical tips the people there will come up with. Also talk to friends, relatives, colleagues. More cheap options for moving are available in the supermarkets. There are sturdy boxes at the liquor store. Also supermarkets and other shops – go and ask to have their boxes. Just make sure they are strong enough to handle any packing and are not dirty/ broken or dusty. You can also ask for some defective newsprint at the local newspaper (if they have any they’re not going to use) and you can also use magazines and newspapers for packing and as cushioning material.
- Moving on the cheap is not just about packing. There are lots of options to get discounts from moving companies. Especially if you are moving long distance it is important to think about less costly options for moving. For longer distances you may prefer to take them with your car and thus save from paying for it to be shipped. In this case you can also deduct your moving expenses from your taxes. To read more about this click on this link.
- But moving on the cheap is not just about finding a company that has lower costs. Movers must be trustworthy and reliable. For that purpose check at the Better Business Bureau, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA). More about AMSA and its ProMover program you can read here.
- When you want to be moving for cheap you can do many things to pay less. But they all start with asking for a quote. By filling in this form you will get in contact with moving companies and you can discuss with them the moving options and tariffs they apply. Moving on the cheap is possible with a company that works with reasonable prices. You should also ask for an in-home estimate. All about how to do it you can read here. A visual estimate is much more precise than phone or e-mail estimates. It means also a smaller chance of mistakes. Another way to move cheaply is to ask for a binding not-to-exceed estimate. These types of estimates are binding in the sense that if your actual moving costs are lower than what you’ve signed for – you pay the smaller price. And on the other hand if your move costs more – you don’t pay any money extra. The binding not-to-exceed estimate is a kind of protection for you.
- Moving for cheap is not an impossible task but you need to have the right approach. Another simple thing to do is to read reviews. On this link you will be able to find movers in all of the USA states along with their rating and reviews about them. If you want to cut moving costs a great way is to consult with the reviews of the company. A recent survey proves that reviews can cut down on your relocation expenses. All about the survey you can find if you click here.
- Here are some more ideas to make your move more affordable and save some money at our moving resource center.
Tips on Moving Cheap
Moving for cheap has many ways to be accomplished. Hopefully these tips can help bring down the cost of your relocation. When your moving is over please remember to come to us and share with us your moving story. Let us know how did you relocate and what company you hired. It will be great for the next people who will move and will read your review, it will direct them. Thank you.