Moving day means a lot of things to prepare – from arranging the paperwork and the traveling, confirming the movers’ arrival and getting ready for the truck, doing the last packing of boxes and so on. It looks like the list is so long and there is no end of it. Actually, just a little bit of organization can add up a lot to the quality of moving and asking yourself what to do on moving day does not have to bring up any anxieties or worries. Here are a few wonderful tips.
Moving House and What Happens on Moving Day
A smooth moving day is a day in which everything goes as planned, people are on time and circumstances are favorable. You have managed to successfully arrange the right movers and they come in time, do the job well and give you the rest of the paperwork. It looks right and legitimate with no hidden costs attached and unexpected expenses.
Moving House – What Happens on the Day of Moving?
First of all, you have to be aware of the things you have to do on moving day. This means that you should have a list with the tasks to do. In order to alleviate yourself of as much work as you can on moving day try to do more of the things before it comes. What to do on moving day will be easier if you have distributed your tasks back in the time before it. A couple of days before the moving day call the movers to confirm again the date and time of their arrival. Make sure they have your contacts, know the address they have to come to and are clear on the specifics of the moving like difficult access to your home caused by narrow road or expected crates to come.
A few days before the day of relocation sit quietly and run it in your mind in order to plan how to prepare for moving day.
Things to do on moving day include:
- Get all the paperwork aligned. Prepare a file where to place all important documentation. You can separate the folders in the file for every document type like medical records or birth certificates, or separate the file in folders for every family member – which may be more convenient for you. Do you have any more papers to collect?
- Take a last look at your moving arrangements: do you have your travel paperwork on standby (tickets, car papers, hotel reservations) ready? Try to imagine every detail of the move as if it is happening and in this way there is a very small chance that you may miss to arrange something.
- What to expect on moving day includes to plan the preparation for your movers. Get ready to protect the floors and carpets when moving and to make the move in – move out cleaning that comes with it. All the materials should be available at your home when the moving day approaches so that when it comes you will be prepared.
- Prepare some drinks and snacks for yourself and the movers.
- Also think what else you have to pack, how much time you will need to do it on moving day and at what time of the day you will be able to complete it. If movers are scheduled to come at 9 am your packing must be complete by then so loading can begin on time. Not only that, but the boxes should be labeled and ready by the door to be taken by the moving labor. This will make loading quicker and will save you not only time but also money.
- Then what happens on moving day is that you need to finalize the cleaning, check if all things are taken and packed and the “open first” box is ready to go – it should be placed latest in the truck (so that it can be taken out first when unloading starts).
- Your main task is to supervise the process to make sure it is going well. Stay with the movers until their work is done. Make sure that the driver of the truck knows where to go and has the address.
- In the meantime everything you need for the trip after you move out of your home needs to be ready.
- After the loading is over, lock the door, check to see if all windows and doors are locked and all appliances and switches are off.
Moving day – how it really happened in your case? Please remember to come back and share with us your feedback when your moving is over and tell us how this information helped you – we will be happy to know if we have contributed to your moving!
There are many things to do on moving day but these are the basic ones. Since every moving is unique no article can present all possible cases. Do you think there is more to add to these tips? If your knowledge and ideas can add something up, feel free to comment.