The hot tub is one of the most difficult items for moving at your home. This is why it requires a special preparation. Since the hot tub is very expensive the best option would be to leave this task to the experts in the moving sphere and choose a moving company. Still, if you want to do this job yourself or as part of your self moving, you need to supply yourself not only with the proper tools but also with a few friends to help you with lifting. This article will give you the tips to take your hot tub out of your home and into your next one safely step by step and the possible expenses for that.
How can you move your hot tub by yourself?
- Empty your hot tub from water, unplug it if it is connected to any sources of electricity or gas and clean it. After the cords have been removed fold them and tie them in the middle at the bundle so that they don’t entangle.
- Dry your hot tub completely out and prepare two furniture dollies for moving it.
- Before lifting it up you should make sure you have enough helpers around.
- Let one person stand at one corner of the hot tub and another one – at the corner next to the first one. First, before lifting the hot tub, let the two people try and see if they can carry its weight. If not, you would have to replace them with stronger people.
- When the two helpers are ready at the two corners of the hot tub they should carefully lift it up and place the hot tub to its side. It is much easier to move a hot tub in this way but remember – the part of the hot tub with the control panel should be placed down facing the dolly.
- If you don’t want to move your hot tub on its side you can do that by using 4 pieces of wood with the same size (2 inches high for example would be enough). Let two people lift slightly one of the sides of the hot tub – just enough to be able to place under the two lifted corners two of the lumber pieces. Place these two corners back down and go to the other side of the hot tub to do the same procedure. Now that your hot tub is supported by 4 pieces of wood at the corners take the furniture dollies. Place the flat side of the first dolly under the hot tub between the wooden pieces and the second dolly – in the same way on the opposite side. Now your hot tub is ready to be lifted and it should be an easy job for you.
- Use the dollies and make sure they have also straps so that your hot tub will be placed on the dollies and will be safe during transportation. The dollies with straps are important part of your moving equipment when you are moving your home.
- When your hot tub has been moved and it is placed steadily at its next location begin wiring it again. Take out the cords you have tightly tied and connect them again. Use the hot tub manufacturer’s instructions in order to be sure you are connecting your spa back again correctly.
How can a moving company have your hot tub relocated?
- Contact a moving company to request on the possible costs. You can do that by filling in a free cost estimator on this link. It is good to ask for some quotes like this as soon as you know you are moving so as to give enough time for the movers to plan your moving and arrange a moving day appropriate for them and for you as well. Have in mind that summer is the season when most people move so the sooner you get a quote, the better.
- How is the price formed? It depends on the size of your spa, the distance on which you will be moving it, are there any difficulties like for example if your hot tub is too large to go through the door your mover can hire a crane to get it in or out in another way but that means an extra charge between about $2000 and $5000 depending on the size of the crane that is to be hired to do the job. Also, there is an extra cost involved if you just want to dispose of your hot tub, not transport it to another location.
- Even if it may cost you a bit more using a mover for your hot tub relocation has many positive aspects – any difficulty in lifting, transporting and moving your spa in or out of your home can be easily handled by professionals. They have done this before much more times than you have and if this is a hard job for you, for them it is a normal activity. Trusting the movers with your expensive hot tub also means they know how to be careful and keep it safe all the way until it has reached its final address. Once you have purchased a new hot tub you can also contact a mover to take it from the store and find a way to get it into your home. This is one of the many services moving companies offer.
Do you have any questions? If so, please feel free to ask in the comments.
Posted on May 9, 2012; Last updated: Feb 2, 2013