Moving in a portable storage container is a great option for storage during your relocation. Whether you are living in an apartment or a house, they are convenient in many aspects. If you want to pack some things and you’re not sure when you will want them, then the pod containers are a great solution. You may be breaking up and moving out or just relocating and looking for a new home, but until you find the right place for you where you can unpack it all, moving portable storage containers is your best option. Whatever your need and reason for your decision, moving in a pod or portable storage containers has its advantages. Find out how to pack for such a move, what the moving containers pricing is, how to find a company which offers containers for rent and more tips here below.
Pod Moving Storage Containers Advantages
- Moving containers or a pod fit greatly on the driveway and thus you can have them delivered to your front door and then delivered to another address. Anyway, check with the local authorities if you need to have a permit to drop off your container.
- They are locked when loaded. This means that if you wish to use one or more of them, you will have the key and of course, the only possible access to the container giving more security to your items in there.
- They are strong and sturdy which means that your belongings are well protected. They cannot be harmed from the outside.
- Moving containers or pods made of wood are hardly influenced by weather conditions which means that your belongings are safe there and will stay intact by mold, moist or condensation. This is not true, however, for a pod made of metal or plastic!
- You can use moving storage containers if you want to pack and load your belongings for storage at your own home.
- What are the typical moving container sizes? When moving, you can fit about a room, a room and a half in one pod depending on the size of the room and the amount of items in it. This is equal to about 50 average-sized boxes or a studio apartment. This refers to a 5x7x8 pod container. There is also a 6x7x8 moving container. Other moving pod sizes are the 8x8x12 that will take up things from about 1,200 sq. feet and the 8x8x16 pod will accommodate a larger area of about 1,500 square feet. The variety of moving container sizes allows you to choose the best containers that you need for the move.
- You can pack the portable storage containers and have them delivered at another location or have them kept in a storage unit. This way, your things won’t shift inside when they’re being moved and they will be safe under your own private access.
Portable On-Demand Storage
Also known as portable on-demand storage, these pod containers are an efficient combination between a moving truck and a storage unit. Here’s another set of advantages of these moving pods for your relocation:
- You won’t have to worry about driving a huge moving truck around the city, within the same state or worse – cross-country to your new place of residence;
- The moving pod will be at ground level for effortless loading and unloading;
- There are no time constraints of any kind and you won’t have to worry about “late fees” either – you get to work on loading or unloading your household belongings at your own chosen speed.
How To Load The Moving Containers Or A Pod
Pack everything well before placing it in moving containers or in a pod. When you begin loading the pod, make sure that you secure the items inside. If they move inside during transportation, they may get scratched, dented, smashed or may get broken. Arrange closely all items when moving them in portable storage and use cushioning in between like cardboard or moving blankets. Be especially careful when packing breakable items for moving in a pod. When on the road, the containers are exposed to vibration from the road and this may cause damage. That is why always pack well dishes, plates, and other breakable items. Use a lot of packing paper (or newspaper) and bubble wrap. If you are not sure how to pack, call movers to do it. Again, just like when moving with a truck, there are items forbidden to put in the pod. Beware of liquids. Since the container is closed when moving, if a liquid is spilled, it will soak up your belongings and may damage them. That is why, don’t put in the moving pod liquids like cleaning materials, gas from the lawn mower, etc.
Portable Moving Container Rates
An 8x8x12 container will cost you about $220. This is the price including the tax and you can get to use the container for a period of up to a month. This means that when you’re done and you need your things, you can just return the pod. You may find a company that will charge you less – for example, you may be given the moving pod pricing of just $100 to have a container at your disposal and have it taken from your doorstep. But then again, as the time to get your moving container back comes, you understand that you have to pay another $100 for the service. The price will vary depending on the time you use the pod, the size of the container and the distance. So the moving pod pricing could drop to $150 or rise to a few hundred.
So in order to know the real, correct moving container rates, ask for a moving quote. Get several moving quotes to find out what prices will be offered to you and then choose your company. And yet again, in order for you to know the approximate rates, we need to remind you of something important – ask how the price is formed and what it contains, in other words, what you can expect to get for your money. Moving in a pod is cheaper than renting a truck, and yet do not throw money away and always check who you hire. Read moving reviews here – just select a location. After you find your destination, see which companies operate on the route that you need and simply call them. This is how you can use the moving containers successfully and enjoy a smooth move. If you have a moving question to which you don’t find the answer, here you can consult our moving experts free on this link.
Posted on Feb 8, 2013; Last updated: Sep 15, 2014
Topics: Moving Storage