Moving on a budget is an option that every one could consider when moving. There are ways to take some expenses off your chest and keep some money in your wallet while you do provide for yourself a moving that is efficient and successful. Unlike what you may think or expect – that a moving made with professionalism and quality is only possible at a certain cost – this article will give you a few moving on a budget tips that can not only decrease the price of your move but will also make your planning and organization easier. So, what is it that you should know if you are thinking on how to move on a tight budget?
Moving out on a Tight Budget Plan
- Our first tip on moving on a budget is planning ahead which is the best time to move. For a number of reason, moving off peak season will save you money. The main one is that moving companies charge much less during this period.
- When looking for movers remember to ask for a quote. Moving on a budget is much easier to organize once you have options to choose from. It is a simple process – you fill in the template with details of your move and moving experts contact you to give you the answer. Every mover will give you a different price so you can just pick the one that fits your budget best. Hiring a cheap mover does not mean putting up with a lower quality of the services that you will receive!
- You can do some of the steps to be done when moving by yourself – for example you can do the packing during moving on your own and ask your friends to help you. This is the so called “you pack, we drive” option that you can request from movers – you do the packing and the moving company takes it from there: it loads the truck, ships your luggage and unloads it at your new home. In this case you should arrange the people to help you in time – so they could plan their availability and have the opportunity to come and participate in your moving.
- You can decide to organize your move yourself and hire moving materials and a truck for your move on a budget. In this case be very careful during moving and check them after your belongings have been unloaded. Any damage you cause may be charged by moving companies especially if it is a more significant one.
- Search for eco-friendly options when moving. The truth is that renting plastic boxes could come out to be cheaper than buying cardboard ones. And in addition to that you are doing your bit in saving the planet and preserving the environment!
- In the meantime consider for your moving out budget plan to look for boxes cheap or for free. Why spend a whole lot money on boxes when you have a way around that?
- But do not stop there. There are many ways in which you can save money when moving like organizing a moving sale for the things you don’t want to take along with you to your new home. On the one hand, your luggage to ship will be smaller and hence less will be the cost, and on the other – you can make some money out of it.
- When it comes to moving supplies when moving on a budget think about how to use the items at your home as packing materials instead of buying new ones. You can use your own blankets and linen as a furniture cover instead of spending your money. When thinking how to move on a budget set aside some towels as well – they can be quite handy in wrapping up the legs of chairs and tables. In this way you will also protect your floors and carpets when moving.
- On the other hand when planning moving on a budget, contrary to moving yourself, you can choose to use the full services of a moving company. Sometimes when you add up the cost of every step you need to consider when moving like finding the packing materials, taking the time to pack, load and unload, hiring a truck, etc. it may be more beneficial for you to just ask a mover to do the whole move for you. But this a decision you need to take after considering all the small expenses that you will make for your move and compare the options that you are facing.
- If you are moving with kids or moving with pets arrange for them to have a friend to take care of them on moving day. In this way you can save from a hiring a babysitter for your children and a professional to take care of the pet when you can’t. And to add to that, you will know that your kids and domestic animals are save and this will help you accomplish your moving on a budget successfully.
How to Move on a Budget?
These are the most important tips on moving on a budget. Is there anything more that you want to know about? Ask the experts or give your comments below.
Posted on Apr 16, 2012; Last updated: May 29, 2013