Moving from USA to UK – whether you are changing a job or for another reason, any move outside the States will need you to have your attention focused on the good preparation process. It is going to be a challenge for you to organize it and certainly not impossible to achieve. UK is a bit different from the USA in some ways so along with the physical preparation of your move you should also consider how you will adapt to the differences you will encounter. Unlike domestic moves moving to UK from USA requirements are more. The purpose of this article is to prepare you for your moving from USA to UK in terms of meeting the changes successfully, organizing your move, establishing the cost of moving from USA to UK, finding the right mover and getting the packing done. Here are our moving to UK from USA tips.
UK – Facts & Figures
Once you arrive at the airport the first thing you’ll probably notice is the weather. If you currently live in a sunny state you will see that most days in the UK are cool, cloudy and rainy, you can hardly see the sun. The South is the place where you can go to the beach and surf when it is warm in summer. You will also surely notice a difference in some phrases and expressions. In the UK there are different ways to say one and the same thing: instead of “day care”, in the UK people say “nursery”, “cab” is used instead of “taxi”, “lorry” instead of “truck”, “petrol” instead of “gas” and so on. Electricity is also different – in Britain it’s 230 V. This means that you may have to change the electronic equipment you have at your home right now and be prepared to get new ones when you arrive in the UK.
Packing for Relocating from US to UK
Before you are preparing what to take with you when relocating from US to UK consider the list of things that are banned to move. These include:
- Weapons, ammunitions, fireworks, explosives
- Drugs and narcotics
- Pornographic material and horror comics
- Counterfeit currency
- Radio transmitters forbidden for use in the UK
- Trees, plants, shrubs, seeds, bulbs, soil, some fruits and vegetable likes potatoes
- Most animals cannot be taken to the UK and all birds are forbidden for entry
- Items made from some endangered species like fur, reptile leather, ivory
- Animal products like meat and fish
In the meantime remember to get the right packing supplies. Cross country relocation requires not just enough packing materials but also strong boxes. If you are not sure about where you can buy some you can find several ways to supply yourself with boxes free or cheap – liquor stores, book stores have strong boxes as well, craigslist for example, you can ask family and friends if they have any boxes they don’t need. Whatever place you get them from make sure they are strong and will handle the long distance your belongings will be traveling to. Of course, moving companies are also a great source for packing supplies. So when relocating from US to UK you can ask your mover for packing materials and even to have your packing done by the moving company.
Moving to UK from USA Checklist
Here is a list with the most important things to prepare when moving from USA to UK:
- The first thing to do is to get international moving quotes. Try to get several different estimates and compare the costs of services, packing materials, etc. Ask every company you have contacted what services they offer and how much does each cost. This is the way to find out about the possible cost of moving from USA to UK for you. And of course every mover will charge differently. Selecting a company based on the price it gives you is a good idea – just be careful if you decide to choose the lowest quote. Not all of the cheapest moving company can provide you with a good quality move.
- Another way to get a good idea of the possible budget and tips you may need for moving is to share this article on your social network page and ask for people amongst your friends who’ve moved to UK recently – you have nothing to lose and any kind of tips other people give you from their experience may be able to help you.
- After you have an idea about the cost of moving from USA to UK continue by selecting your mover well. Here is a list with moving companies for Ireland and the UK. The movers there are licensed and functioning. Besides just contacting moving companies you will also be able to read reviews and check out ratings.
- Check the moving companies you are interested in – read reviews, ask your friends, colleagues if any of them moved recently, which mover they used and were they content with the services offered. Be strict on your moving to UK from USA requirements towards movers – international relocation is not just costly but a longer process and you need to be sure the company you choose is reliable.
- Include in your moving to UK from USA checklist change of address – this includes postal address, change of utility companies, notifying friends and family.
Moving to UK from USA Tips
This moving to UK from USA checklist will give you the essential tips in preparing for your relocation. Follow the advice of the moving company – these are the people who have good experience in international moves and can help you. If you wish to add something more to this article that you find relevant please feel free to share it below – it will be useful for other readers after you. In case you have more questions you can always ask our moving experts – it is free. Good luck in your USA to UK relocation.
Posted on Nov 6, 2012; Last updated: Nov 13, 2012