During your relocation there’s a lot to take care of – finding the movers, deciding what to take, organizing the packing, explaining the news to the kids, finding a new school for them and lots more. What’s probably one of the things that look simple and easy is probably one that shouldn’t be underestimated: who to notify when moving house. It may seem like it’s just a few places to go but we suggest that you plan carefully the places and the people and arrange with them the necessary procedures. Take your time to organize this before moving day so that you won’t have to go back and make phone calls which will be especially expensive if you happen to have moved to Canada or somewhere else abroad. Who to notify when you move into a new house? Here is a list with companies and people to inform.
List of people to notify when you move your house
When relocating, here is your checklist with who to notify when moving.
1. Utilities. Discuss with the utility companies like electricity and water how the meter readings will be taken. These are the companies whom to notify when moving checklist:
- Electric company
- Water company
- Phone company
- Gas company
- Cable/ satellite company
- Internet provider
- Other providers
2. Insurance companies. Your list of who to tell when you move house should also include these:
- House insurance company
- Life insurance
- Health insurance
- Car insurance
- Other insurance companies
3. Finances. Financial institutions should also be informed for your relocation:
- Credit/ debit card companies.
- Other financial institutions.
- School/ daycare. You will also need to look for a new one at the city you will be moving to. Check what documentation you will need there and what are the deadlines.
- Local authorities
- Driving license
- Vehicle registration. Along with the driving license you will need to check with the local authorities what is necessary to be done depending on your situation.
5. Specialists. Collect records from doctors and dentists for you and the other members of your family. Especially think of the kids, who cannot do this themselves. You can also ask the doctor and the dentist to suggest another specialist in the area of your relocation.
6. Subscriptions. You can cancel them at your current home, look for the local newspaper at where you’ll be living in and subscribe to it.
- Clubs memberships
- Post office
- Piano/ guitar/ etc. lessons
7. People. Think of not only your relatives, but also all the other important for you people. You can also prepare change of address cards or make a goodbye party and invite the people closest to you and your family. You can also make a party for your kids and their friends – and they will be thrilled of it!
- People with whom you went to school with
- Employer. Let your employer know when you will be leaving work.
- Parking. In some cities parking is very difficult and you need a parking permit, like in NYC. Don’t risk to be fined and arrange that.
- Hotel. If you will be staying at a hotel, typical for a long distance move, you will need to book one in time as well. If you will have pets with you, make sure that the hotel allows it.
Who to notify when moving – tips
This was our who to notify when moving checklist. Surely there is more to add. Think of who to notify when moving house more practically and instead of naming the persons or companies in your list “electricity company” or “doctor” you can put their names and contact details. In this way you will be able to arrange easily and conveniently for you those that need to be contacted regarding your relocation. Who to notify when moving – checklists or at least one with all the categories in will make your work so much simpler.
You can also distribute the people and institutions to contact between the members of the family. If everyone participates, all adults, you will save time and effort and all the work will be done faster. Even if you get full movers you still need to plan the list of people to notify when you move house and do the job for it. So as you can see, it is easy to find out who to notify when you move into a new house and it will also be easy to be done, as long as you begin early enough. The sooner you plan this step and make it, the more time you will have for your family and the other details of the relocation.
Do you know more people or institutions that should be contacted besides the ones in our list of people to notify when you move house? You can write a comment and share it below!