Moving out means a lot of packing. But before you get on with it make a list with the items to go in your “Open first” box and set it aside – you will need it. The things to go in this box include basic objects that you’ll need during moving day and on the first one or two days after you have moved since you won’t be able to unpack immediately everything. This box should contain various things from the kitchen and bathroom but not only – also toys for the kids or accessories for your pet, etc. Take the box with you on the traveling in the car. If you are taking a plane remember to check the flight company’s restrictions on checked in luggage.
How to Prepare your “Open First” Box?
- Place in your box with essentials clothes for one or two days. When you arrive at your new home you will need time to do some cleaning and you may not be able to immediately unpack your clothes. This means a set or two of clothing for every member of your family.
- Also put some sheets and bed linen. Once you arrive at your future place of living you’ll certainly want to get some rest after the hard work.
- The bathroom items in your essentials box should be toothbrush, hairbrush, towels and slippers for every member of your family, toothpaste, deodorant, cosmetics like creams and lotions you use, the medicines (if someone is taking any), first aid kit, shaving cream and a razor, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel or soap, toilet paper, shower curtain and a bath mat.
- From your kitchen you will need to take some cups and dishes, preferably plastic or break-proof.
- Also prepare to pack some cutlery, a frying pan with a serving spoon, a cooking pot, coffee making machine with coffee and filters, tea, mug, paper towels, plastic or aluminum foil for the food, scissors, towels for the dishes, tablecloth, some cleaning detergent and one-two sponges.
- Bring a flashlight, candles and a lighter, some tools like a screwdriver and a hammer and trash bags.
- If you have pets, take some toys for them, the bowls for their food and water and some animal food of course.
- Your children will be happy to have some snacks on the way to their new home so add a few in the box, some drinks, sandwiches – surely there will be supermarkets nearby when you arrive but just in case you don’t have time or someone gets hungry on the way you should be prepared.
- Add in the box some toys and games for them – papers and pencils for drawing, dolls, plastic cars, lego – you know best what can keep your children busy and happy. Also add some games for the whole family to play. You can put some CD’s in and a small CD player to listen to music or the radio, too.
- Perhaps the most important thing in the box though will be the paperwork you have and all documents related to your moving. If you are a good organizer they should be arranged in a file and this file must be saved and kept with a lot of caution.
- Also prepare a list with emergency phone numbers. They should include: fire department, police, ambulance, phones and address of the nearest hospital, pharmacy (also in case of emergency conditions), taxi service and one or two people who you can rely on. These are people who will surely have your new address and phone and will be able to react in case of emergencies.
Your Moving Box with Essentials
Now you are well packed. All things mentioned above are just the basic for one or two days at your new home until you unpack. If you think you want to add something not mentioned here feel free to do so. Anything that you are certainly going to use should be packed. If you think that you will have the time to read, you can also pack your favorite book, for example.
If your items are too many to be placed in one box you can make two and separate the kids’ things, for example. Just make sure that you label the boxes clearly and put them where they won’t get mixed with the rest of the boxes for moving. If you want to make things easier you can additionally put in a paper or plastic bag the things from each category here. And when the moving day is over start unpacking by opening this box first.
Is there something else that should also come in this box? Share your opinion as a comment!