Packing room by room can make your move simpler and easier to organize. It is convenient to prepare your relocation like this because you can save time on a long term basis. If you pack without good organization you may end up having to go through all of the bedroom boxes to find the pillow cases or having to move boxes around because they need to go to another premise in the house. Another positive aspect of knowing how to prepare your packing list by room is that you can use it to distribute the tasks to be done between the family members. Prepare a room in your home or the basement to store everything packed and get on.
Making Your Room by Room Packing Checklist
- Sort out. When sorting out your items for your room by room packing list there are three piles of stuff it is advisable to prepare: one is with things that will not be moved, another one is with the items to be relocated and a third one is with your essentials box.
- Get the packing supplies. Make sure you have enough packing materials enough time before the moving day. You can even find many boxes and other packing materials free as you are making your room by room packing list.
- Make it easy. If you have a large home or you have to organize your relocation quickly no panic – you can ask the movers to pack for you. Just get a quote in order to compare prices and services. When packing room by room they are the experts you can rely on.
Packing Room by Room – Checklist
Here is the room by room packing checklist for the rooms in your house.
Packing List by Room – Bedroom
- Distribute the tasks between the family members. Let everyone pack their own bedrooms. You can help the kids and in this way everyone will participate in the packing.
- Wardrobe or closet. Begin there when making packing list by room because this is the place in your bedroom which is most probably going to require most attention when packing. The clothes that won’t get shabby in the box can be packed there. The rest of the attire like suits and more gentle fabric can be packed in wardrobe boxes. Wrap up the pairs of shoes with newspaper or newsprint.
- Note in your packing room by room checklist to see which furniture needs to be dismantled or which items are to be disconnected. Make sure you have the tools to do it and if you are not qualifies – get expert help like a handyman to do it for you.
Packing List by Room – Kitchen
- Your kitchen packing checklist by room should begin with the right type of packing boxes. You will need cell boxes for glasses and cups and strong, sturdy boxes for the other breakable objects. You can use towels as a packing material as well.
- Label all breakable items in the boxes clearly on all sides and on the top. Use some bright color like red to denote that these boxes need to be handled with care. If you have more expensive china you can ask the movers to pack it for you.
- Begin to pack items you haven’t used in a few months or weeks like a table cloth, vases, special dining sets you take out only on holidays, etc. Kitchen items are heavy so consider well what to pack. The cost may be high especially if you are moving on a long distance.
Packing List by Room – Bathroom
- When packing room by room checklist the bathroom can be the last premise in your home to look. As you pack your bathroom remember to separate items that are expired, unused and unwanted and also things to go into your essentials box. It is better to have it all selected in advance so when the time comes to fill up your essentials box you know what to put and where to get it from.
- Things that may leak should be placed in plastic bags that are sealable.
- If you have cosmetics or other things you will be using all the time separate them and take them with you. Don’t pack them. Just remember that when taking a flight there are limitations on the liquids you can carry so check out the flight company’s requirements before heading towards the airport.
This room by room packing checklist can help you prepare your inventory sheet which the movers will need in order to establish how much your move will cost. With this moving distance calculator you can estimate the distance of your move and the weight of your home and see those numbers as you type – for your convenience. So when preparing your packing room by room checklist can be quote handy. If you have further moving questions you can ask our moving experts (it’s free).