As the moving time approaches most likely you are going to buy some new furniture. Furniture gives the image of the home. Whenever you have guests this is one of the first things that they see. This is why it is important to choose well how to furnish your living place. Here design and how it matches the interior is crucial. But there are some other details that matter a lot as well.
When choosing your new furniture it is important to know how to do it and what to ask the salesperson before getting your pen and checkbook. Otherwise you end up spending money for things that you wish to return right after they were delivered. It is important to have in mind several minor details, explained below.
What to Know When Buying Furniture
Since usually buying a new home is related to home renovation or moving out it means that you need to know more than just the price and the looks of the item you are interested in. You should also arrange other details like transportation and assembling, if needed.
Questions to Ask when Buying Furniture
- First of all you need to set up a budget because this is going to be your basis for a search from now on. Usually larger pieces of furniture are meant to be used for a longer time so think about making a reasonable investment that is going to be within your means and will serve you well for the next years to come.
- Do you want new or second hand furniture? You can get new items at stores and second hand online at ebay, craigslist or on a moving sale (just check the ads at your local newspaper) depending on the budget you have.
- Find a model that will look good where it will stand. Is the wardrobe too large for your small bedroom? Is the dining table large enough to be able to take all family members around it when dinner time comes? Do the colors of the chairs match the wall colors?
- Once you decide for specific models and the price suits you check on the size. This is to establish will the furniture fit where you want to place it in your home. It is an important question to ask when buying new furniture also because you want it to fit through the door, staircase and halls. This is why before going to any store you should have the measures of your home with you. If you are taking a piece of furniture to your attic or basement – have those measures as well.
- Once you have selected the furniture to buy you need to ask what fabric is it made of. This is to know how to have it cleaned and maintain it in the future. If you are going to need professional cleaning though, it is easy to find a cleaning company near you.
- One also very important question to ask when buying new furniture is to discuss delivery and assembling. Some stores offer these services and others don’t. Even if they tell you that the price for these is not included in the purchase price it doesn’t make much difference – if delivery and assembly are “free” it means most probably that these costs are just included in the costs for buying. In this case you can ask the movers who have transported your belongings to also drive your new couch or sofa and assemble it, if needed. If you want to use another moving company just find one that is in your state. Movers are a good choice because they are professionals at what they do and can solve potential problems – if for example a piece does not fit through the door they are able to react on the spot and advice you what to do. Employees from furniture stores may not have this competence.
- The last question for asking when purchasing new furniture is the guarantee. Usually the higher the quality of an item, the longer its guarantee is. Of course, you should pose this question while you are still at the store. More expensive furniture that is made of high class materials is supposed to be able to last longer, have a longer period of guarantee and be more comfortable.
These are the main questions to ask when buying furniture. And here is an extra tip: Choosing new furniture for your future home should not come in too late. As the organization of your moving is taking place look for the right furnishing for you. After you have moved in at your new home you will be happy that you have done all the hard work before moving day.
What else do you think is important to know before you get your new pieces of furniture home? Share with us your ideas – any opinion is of importance.