Every relocation is a matter of a lot of planning and organization. Whether you are relocating locally or long distance, almost every move is related to lots of stress. Although people move several times in their life on an average, every move is unique and requires good preparation before it, especially when moving to another city. After the Toronto moving guide, the next article in our Canada moving guides is our Quebec relocation assistance article. What is Quebec like and what opportunities do you have there? How can you find reputable Quebec movers and how to choose the best one? These and more tips coming up below.
Photo by Songquan Deng
Quebec City Info
Quebec is the largest province in Canada and the largest in population after Ontario. The word Québec means “where the river narrows”. This is the only Canadian province where the majority of the population speaks French. And that is something important to have in mind whether you are relocating from USA, UK or another Canadian city. The English-speaking communities and the English-language institutions are situated in the west part predominantly. The House of Commons of Canada recognizes the “Québécois as a nation within united Canada.”
There is a lot to do and see in Quebec. If you are a fan of biking, you can enjoy the Route Verte that covers 3,100 miles from Quebec from East to West. There are plenty of national parks that you can visit in Quebec, you can go camping, play golf, drive ATV, etc. If you ever decide to visit Quebec city before you relocate there, you can catch a glimpse of the fortifications, St. Lawrence River, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Shrine, the Plains of Abraham, Le Massif de Charlevoix, North America’s only Ice Hotel, visit the Quebec Winter Carnival and the biggest winter playground in America—Village Vacances Valcartier. You can check out a schedule of the local events on this link.
The climate in Quebec is different in three different regions. The south and west regions of Quebec have a humid continental climate with 4 seasons. The summers are warm to hot and humid, with tornadoes and thunderstorms occurring occasionally. Winters are often cold and snowy. There is lots of rain throughout the whole year.
Quebec comprises of 17 administrative regions that are with very diversified economy. Service sector is he most developed one in Quebec. There are a lot of investments spent on research and development. Today more than 1.1 million Quebecers are occupied in the field of science and technology. Industries that are well developed are aerospace, information technologies and software, multimedia, pulp and paper, forest products, agri-food, etc. The Québec Government began the Plan Nord in 2011 which should lead to $80 billion of investments for a period of 25 years and create or consolidate more than 20 000 jobs every year. This is a project that involves boosting different industries like tourism, transportation, energy, mining, etc.
Move to Quebec city
- Before relocating to Quebec, look for a region and a neighborhood, and check out the area. Learn about the local stores, supermarkets, hospital, school, crime statistics, entertainment opportunities nearby, etc.
- When moving to Quebec city, check out the list with movers that you can find here. It contains not just Quebec moving companies, but also their ratings and reviews. In this way you can inform yourself more about the way a certain Quebec mover works. You can check out the BBB report of a mover as well from our database via a direct link.
- When you decide to contact a Quebec moving company, ask for a quote and then review it carefully. Make sure you understand what the quote contains and how the final price you are given is formed. You can get the right Quebec relocation assistance only if you select well the moving company to use for your relocation.
- Plan the items that you will be moving and give the list to the Quebec mover. This is how you will get a more accurate quote.
- The best decision though is after getting an online estimate to ask for a physical estimate. When the Quebec movers come, they will give you a more precise price about your move.
- In order to get the best help to relocate to Quebec city, choose the mover with the quote that is average. Sometimes scammers give a very low quote to attract customers and then problems may appear. Also you don’t always have to pay the highest price, in order to get quality moving services provided by professionals.
- In addition to the tips here, if you want to relocate to Quebec city, you will need to read the rules on immigrating to Quebec at the official website of the government of Quebec.
Quebec city relocation is much easier to organize with the right mover. Remember to read carefully every document and if you want more tips on relocating, come back to My Moving Reviews often.
Posted on Sep 11, 2013; Last updated: Sep 20, 2013