When you are moving, you may find yourself flooded of offers and information. You are in a position to choose whom to trust with your belongings, which, no doubt, are dear to you. When deciding to rely on a moving company you are avoiding all the complications that may occur when you are driving your own vehicle and towing your possessions in a trailer. You’ve weighed the risks of not knowing the route, the hotel expenses and so on. Choosing a moving company means looking in the first place for a good reputation.
How to find Reputable Movers
Where or how to find a reputable moving company is the major question you have to answer. Answering the huge question might lead you to some other problems you have to settle first.
Whether your move is local, long distance or commercial, you must be guided by company reputation. To explore the company’s reputation, you have to check the companies reviews, ratings and comments online. Feel free to contact some of their customers personally by phone or e-mail. Trusting the company is the main issue, you trust them with your values, whether they are personal or business goods. Check everything personally and be sure you are safe. There are a lot of rogue moving companies out there ready to involve you in a scam scheme so beware when looking for movers.
Tips when looking for reputable movers
Before contacting a certain company we suggest you ask some questions first:
- How much will it cost? Be aware that some companies charge per mile, by weight or by volume. Make the decision by the character of your move. Tip: you can get free moving quote by professionals online for free. Compare different estimates, which you should require from the companies. Most reputable moving companies will do this for free. Find out what the final amount includes. Does it cover transportation, shipment time, packing materials and labor.
- Check the DOT license number in the U.S. Government information system. Make sure of the Cargo insurance validation. Review the companies safety profiles by U.S. Department of transportation. Check the company inspection record average, compare it to the national average, keep in mind for how long the company has been in business.
- When moving cross-country, choose whether you contact a local interstate moving company or a company, resident in your destination area.
- Don’t hesitate to meet crew members and view transport facilities that companies provide. Make sure they all represent the company logo and reply to the work load that is declared. Check out the ratio of number of trucks to the number of moves per mount in the statistics.
- Consider do you need packing services, or will you use the you-pack/we-drive service. Be acquainted, that some of your household goods are better be packed by professionals, according to their specific character.
Filtering the best companies
When you are exploring for reputable moving companies visit sites that provide lists of companies, and read some reviews and ratings. This is a safe way to make sure you have the current information of all reputable moving companies in you area like reputable moving companies in NYC, or reputable moving companies in Boston. You can find local movers by state, cities and compare their ratings in the region. There are websites that offer valuable information about are the most reputable long distance moving companies, listed by real costumers ratings.
New technologies to help you move easier
Get helped! You don’t have to decide everything alone. Use some up-to-date technologies that ease your moving. Install free moving apps on your iPhone or Android like The My Move application or the The Moving Guru app. These applications will give you the opportunity to get tips, check reviews, records, comments and contacts of reputable moving companies when you are on the go.
Do you know another good method to filter the most reputable movers? Let us know in the comments below.
Posted on Nov 10, 2011; Last updated: May 19, 2012