Moving to a new home is a process that takes a lot of time, effort and sometimes it may turn out to be quite stressful. Amongst all issues to plan and arrange though there are things people forget when they move. This is why I have traced down some of the most common things you may forget when moving and collected the information here in this article.
Things People Forget when They Move
- Collect all the possible records – go to your doctor, dentist and pharmacy for any prescriptions you may have. Don’t forget to do the same for your children and also go to their school or day care and pick up a transcript of records. If you have a pet, go to its veterinarian and ask for a copy of the animal’s records as well.
- If you have left items in your dry cleaning or some shoes to be repaired do not forget to pick them up before you leave home.
- Look through every drawer, cupboard and wardrobe for anything you might have left behind.
Things People Forget when Moving
- Check every room in your home – attic, basement, things in your garden – for items that you won’t need any more. One of the things you may forget is that you should actually make sure you get rid of everything you won’t take to your new home and also you should do that in time. Planning to move out may take some of your time so start your preparation as early as you can. An option is to organize a moving sale. You could also donate some things or give them away to neighbors, friends or relatives.
- One more of the things not to forget when moving is to make sure that you have prepared a proper packing of all of your belongings. You may need double ply boxes for heavier items or special boxes for your computer, for example. If you have fragile items in your luggage you may as well think about how to label the boxes properly to make sure that whoever is carrying them will know what is inside and will be careful – you can write on their top and two of the sides the content like “breakable” or “electronics” and the room it belongs to like “bedroom” or “living room”.
- If you thinking how and where you can get moving boxes from cheap or free you can find more information here.
Things You Forget when Moving
- Contacting a moving company is very important and people forget when moving that having an expert hand at your disposal is always a plus. In order to decide if you would want to use movers just request a moving estimate. Of course, with calling professionals with questions there are some minor details you should consider. One of the things not to forget when moving is to research the possible hidden moving costs and fees – unfortunately there is a possibility you might have to deal with that so be prepared.
- Also, one of the basic things to remember is checking through all the paperwork movers give you. Before you sign anything do not forget to read it. A tip is to have someone with you on moving day – possibly a person with more moving experience than you who could help you not just with looking through the paperwork but also with any final things to do before moving out. Beware of moving scams by checking everything about a mover. Read some reviews and make sure the company you have chosen to do your moving is an accredited one.
- Do not forget when moving to make a plan for moving day. Prepare to check if a parking space next to your new home is available and also will you need any permits to park a larger vehicle like a truck – movers may charge you extra if they have to park on a large distance from your home.
- There are a number of places that you need to go to like for example the post office in order to change your address when moving. You can find a list with them and instructions on what to do and where to go here.
- Also, if you are living in a rented home, it is important not to forget when moving that you should notify your landlord and arrange to have your lease contract cut on the day of your moving. If you are renting your next place to live the same rule follows. Do not forget when moving in to have your renting contract ready and signed starting from the date of moving in. So all these steps need to be taken in advance.
- Of course, an important issue not to forget when moving is that you can actually save some money when moving, too, in the meantime. There are costs that can be cut like for example you can save on moving costs if you are intending on finding cheap movers. Don’t forget that there are low cost movers who are reputable and can do a quality work for you in the meantime.
Do you think something else needs to be added in this article? Let us know by giving us your comments below.