Making a moving successfully is a lot of work and organization. And yet, amongst the plenty of information that you can find on the internet there are still a few things to do before moving in or out that are basic and should be taken into consideration. I have selected the most important 20 things that everyone should know before moving and here they are.
Things to Do Before Moving
- When looking for information on what to do before moving, research on packing supplies and tips on packing. Prepare yourself with everything you will need in order to be able to pack the belongings you are moving with yourself.
- Another thing to do before moving is to get rid of everything you don’t need or want any more – throw it out, give it away or donate it; the more you have to ship – the more you will need to pack and that will boost up the expenses you will have when moving in terms of packing, packing supplies, carrying the boxes, etc. In this way you will cut down on excessive expenditures.
- In the same time when planning what things to do before moving consider what budget you will be using. It is possible to save some money by asking your friends to help you move and pack, for example.
- Pay special attention to the valuable items you have. While wondering what things to do before moving remember to keep your documents on a safe place when moving day comes – the best option would be to take them with you.
- When planning what to do before moving to a new city remember to be careful with the fragile items you have. What to do before moving on this subject is that you could use extra bubble wrap, packing paper and other cushioning materials if necessary.
- Don’t miss the opportunity to find boxes for moving cheap or free – there are many options to do that at supermarkets or online.
- One of the basic things to do before moving is to decide if you are moving yourself or hiring a mover for that.
- If you go for a self moving remember to plan in most detail every step. On the other hand, you can decide to count on a moving company for a safe move.
- When considering what to do before moving you can have your moving costs estimated. Getting a quote will give you an idea of what to expect in terms of moving costs.
- Prepare for the moving day by protecting your floor and carpets as well. Use appropriate covering in order to keep them safe when carrying boxes and furniture.
- One of the things to do before moving to a new house is to be careful with carrying large furniture. Wrap up the legs of chairs and tables with towels to protect them.
- Another important thing to do before moving is to find how to save money. One of the ways for that is to check if you can deduct your moving expenses from your taxes.
- When thinking what to do before moving consider preparing for yourself a move in – move out cleaning checklist. It will guide you through the steps to take for your cleaning when moving.
- What to do before moving – an important step is to change your address – schools, day care, utility companies, post office, friends, family and many more should be aware of your new living place.
- Another one of the things to do before moving is to get to know your new neighborhood – if you can, visit the city you are moving to, check where the most important institutions are based, locate nearby supermarkets, and of course fun places like social clubs, restaurants and clubs.
- Contact local institutions at the new area of your home a few weeks before moving – you will need to change your address and register, for example this is important for your driving license, gas, mobile phone company, etc. When planning what to do before moving remember that in every state you will find a different provider so don’t neglect this step.
- One of the last things to do before moving in is to assure you have a trustworthy person at your new home – someone to meet the vehicle bringing your belongings and assist the unloading process.
- When arriving at your new home check the utilities and the condition of the place you are going to live in. If it needs some repair work you will need to know as soon as possible in order to make your home fully functional in time.
- If you are renting a place, don’t forget that when planning what to do before moving you should let your landlord know about your plans as soon as possible.
- Last but not least, another thing you need to know before moving is to remember to have fun along the way! We know how stressful can moving be so don’t let worry or anxiety take over you! Spend quality time with the people you love like your friends and family, take time for your hobbies and keep your thoughts set to the goal you have.
What else do you think is important to do before moving? Share your ideas as a comment below!
Posted on Apr 11, 2012; Last updated: Apr 12, 2012