In the preparation for moving lots of things need to be taken care of – the preparation is a process that does not comprise of just getting a quote – receiving several estimates is the first step of many others to be completed. What to do before movers arrive is an important question and here are the tips that will help you get ready well and in time. Besides simply efficient, the following information will help you move more economically and will save you time. Here are the most important things to do before movers come.
Before the Movers Arrive
- Clean up your home. Certainly you wouldn’t want to take with you the whole house/ apartment. It is going to be time-consuming and expensive. That is why go over every room, including the basement, attic, garage, outdoors as well. Things that will be packed you can put in one premise before the movers arrive. Items that are to be taken with you you can leave in a small room – the kitchen, bathroom or just in the garage. You can prepare before movers come all that they are going to pack by placing it in one room – for example the living room. Make sure you understand how much time you will have to wait until you see your things again – you will need to have some of your clothes, personal items, etc. with you until then.
- Send out change of address cards/ e-mails. Besides the notifications you have to make related to utility companies you should also let your family and friends know about your new home. Remember to also file a change of address at the USPS – you can also do it online via their website – here is the official change of address form.
- Whatever you will be giving to the movers you can photograph. Prepare before movers come snapshots of these items. You can make close up photographs of DVDs, books or CDs and keep the photos with you.You could even videotape everything before the movers come. That way if something’s missing or broken you can make a claim.
- Have some food and drinks ready for the movers. You can order pizza or just buy in advance sandwiches. Keep the drinks in the fridge for lunchtime. The movers will appreciate that after they do some good job for you.
- In the meantime have things in the fridge and freezer sorted out. Make a plan on what to eat at home and when – you cannot pack and take frozen food and there’s also no point in throwing good food away as this is waste of money. As a last thing to resort to you can give it to the neighbors before the movers come. After that you should be in your home directing the movers on what to pack and making sure they’re packing everything the way you want it to be.
- Separate the items depending on their purpose. For example expensive items like jewels, collectibles, paperwork, etc. should go with you on the trip. Everything that needs to be thrown away – take the garbage out before the movers arrive. Make sure that the movers are clear on what exactly it is that they need to pack otherwise they may also pack other things as well. They are used to working quickly so make sure that they understand what to wrap up and what to leave. Just in case you can place the things not to be moved in one or two rooms and tape the doors. If you have cats or dogs you can also take them there. Animals shouldn’t be in the way of movers for the safety of all people and animals and also because pets can incidentally be let outside. It is not good to lose your pet and it would be even more unpleasant if you do it on moving day.
- Try to also safely cover all walls and floors in order to protect the carpets. Regarding the protection of the other items in your home the movers should be able to take good care of them. Everything will go well and smooth if you manage to find a trustworthy moving company. Our large database with movers will offer you a wide choice of companies to select from so take a look at ratings, reviews and ask for recommendations before hiring a moving company.
Things to Do before Movers Come
Surely these things to do before movers come will assist you in your move. After you plan your moving day well the tips here will top it up. What to do before movers arrive is a question that you should certainly address in order to ensure a safe and timely move for you and your family. In the meantime if you have questions or would like to make some comments you can share your ideas below the article. Thank you!
Posted on Nov 16, 2012