What to pack when moving out of home? There are certainly some items that you are going to need to take with you and others that you are better to leave behind. This article will give you a checklist on what to pack when moving away so you can quickly and easily decide what’s to be packed and what not. Whether you are packing to go to college, may be out of state or you are moving abroad – use our checklist on what to pack for your moving and make your packing a simple task.
What to Pack when Moving Checklist
- When planning what to pack when moving you need to decide first what you don’t want to pack. These are things that you don’t want to take to your new home. Instead of packing them you could make a moving sale and decrease the load you will be taking to your new home.
- Remember also that some items are forbidden to pack and move – corrosives, explosives, acids, poison, matches, nail remover, bleach and chemicals are the most commonly used amongst them. You will also not be allowed to pack and move perishable items like frozen food or plants wither.
- Amongst the things to pack when moving are of course all your pet belongings, in case you have a domestic animal. And you will have to take your pet with you on the moving – movers will not move them for you.
- While packing your whole house place together in one file all the documentation related to your moving. That means you will need to collect plane or other tickets, hotel reservations confirmations, maps, contracts for rent, bills, documents for ownership of real estate/ car/ other, records from doctor, dentist, vet, school, child care, insurance policies that you have signed, any contracts for bank loans and credit.
- When preparing your what to pack when moving checklist look through your belongings and start with the ones that you won’t use for a few months like items that are appropriate only for a certain season – diving or ski equipment, for example.
- While arranging what to pack when moving place together everything that will go for shipping. This means to set aside a place at your home that is near the front door so when the movers arrive loading will be quick. In the meantime don’t forget to label the boxes so that during unloading you won’t have to open each one up to see which room it belongs to.
- When planning the checklist with things to pack when moving set aside a box/ suitcase for each family member and pack it according to the person’s needs. Kids would need some toys and games, and you can pack a newspaper or magazines in the adults’ luggage. In your personal box or suitcase place the documentation. If you are taking a plane to your new living place remember to put the documents in your hand luggage just in case.
- Be careful with the packing of your electronics when moving. This means being attentive with kitchen appliances and all the rest of electronics at your home – surround system, DVD player, TV, your computer, etc.
- Be prepared on how to move large furniture. Couches and mattresses will need covering, chairs and tables will need to have their legs wrapped up with towels or bubble wrap, cupboards with glass doors will need to be dismantled and the glass doors – carefully packed.
- Certainly pack an “open first” box. When arriving at your new home you will need to use some items before you have completed with the unpacking. This means that when planning what to pack when moving include in your “open first” box scissors for the unpacking, kitchen knife, some plastic dishes, cups and cutlery, a few drinks, some snacks, soap and towels, napkins.
- When thinking what to pack when moving plan ahead the cleaning process you would have to do, too. Make for yourself a move in – move out cleaning checklist and include in it what things are to be cleaned, what cleaning materials you will need and where to start from. Pack your checklist together with the cleaning materials before moving day. More about them you can find on the web page of the US Environmental Protection Agency. If you are not sure on how to clean some items read on the internet; additionally, you can search for green cleaning materials like these or you can even make your own green cleaning products and save money at the same time.
- And last but not least, one of the things to pack when moving out is first aid kit and some painkillers to take along with you during your trip towards your new home.
Want to know more on what to pack when moving? You can ask the experts or make a comment in the section below.
Posted on Apr 12, 2012; Last updated: May 29, 2013